Question about Link Fault Signalling

Hi Rich,

I have a quick question about what I've read about Link Fault
Signalling.

In 46.2.6 it says that the RS examines data for status messages, and
further that status messages are alternaed with idle messages so that it
would look somehting like:

IOIOIO...
IDIDID...
IDIDID...
IDIDID...

Looking at Figure 49-7 for 64b/66b PCS it would seem that this
corresponds to either a TYPE field of 0x2d or 0x4b (CCCCODDD & ODDDCCCC
respectively).

However, the 64b/66b code also allows for ODDDSDDD and ODDDODDD. Now,
ODDDSDDD seems OK to me if it follows ODDDCCCC as this is still
alternating idle and status. But, what I can't see, is what the RS would
do upon recieving ODDDODDD since this is clearly not alternating between
idle and status. When would we use this? How?

Thanks,

Dave Gross