From: Rich Taborek [mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 11:23 PM
To: HSSG
Subject: Re: Question about Link Fault Signalling

David,

Good observation. Note that Idles may be deleted for clock rate
compensation, whereas ordered-sets may not. ODDDODDD may result if a
single Idle is deleted.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

David Gross wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> I have a quick question about what I've read about Link Fault
> Signalling.
>
> In 46.2.6 it says that the RS examines data for status messages, and
> further that status messages are alternaed with idle messages so that it
> would look somehting like:
>
> IOIOIO...
> IDIDID...
> IDIDID...
> IDIDID...
>
> Looking at Figure 49-7 for 64b/66b PCS it would seem that this
> corresponds to either a TYPE field of 0x2d or 0x4b (CCCCODDD & ODDDCCCC
> respectively).
>
> However, the 64b/66b code also allows for ODDDSDDD and ODDDODDD. Now,
> ODDDSDDD seems OK to me if it follows ODDDCCCC as this is still
> alternating idle and status. But, what I can't see, is what the RS would
> do upon recieving ODDDODDD since this is clearly not alternating between
> idle and status. When would we use this? How?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Gross

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com