RE: 2.5 GBS vs 10 GBS on same fiber

Bob,
I am passing along this exchange I had with Dr. Andrew Chraplyvy regarding
non-linearities. While his response is not detailed, it provides assurance
that non-linearities will not be a concern for 10GbE PMDs. He later
confirmed that four-photon mixing is also not an issue, once I relayed that
the wavelengths were separated by about 25 nm.

Regards,
Paul Kolesar

Paul
I don't think that any of the three cases will suffer degradations due to
nonlinearities. If you look very carefully you might see a hint of
four-photon mixing products (similar to third order intermodulation) in case
3 but not enough to impact the system performance.
Best regards,

Andy

"Kolesar, Paul F (Paul)" wrote:

	> Hi Andy,
	> This email correspondence mentions
	> your name. The author, Bob Dhalgren,  is responding to questions
about fiber
	> non-linearities and sites you as an expert. He asked me to relay
this to you
	> and get your advice. The systems we are talking about are those
being
	> defined for 10 Gigabit Ethernet. There are three in draft that
will use
	> singlemode fiber.
	> 1.      10.3125 Gbaud serial at 1310 nm with a max transmit power
of 1 dBm
	> and a max distance of 10 km.
	> 2.      10.3125 Gbaud serial at 1550 nm with a max tx power of 4
dBm and a
	> max distance of 40 km.
	> 3.      4-wavelengths near 1300 nm system that used a max of -2.5
dBm per
	> wavelength (3.5 dBm total). Each wavelength operates at 3.125
Gbaud. max