RE: Local Fault/Remote Fault

Rich,

This is something I've been trying to figure out for a while.  Perhaps you
can shed some light on this.

> 3.  The RS layer is where the Local Fault Pulse Ordered Set is
>     processed.  The RS layer is the only place that a Remote
>     Fault Pulse Ordered Set can be generated.  If an RS receives
>     a Local Fault Pulse Ordered Set it must stop sending packets
>     and begin sending alternating columns of Idles and Remote
>     Fault Pulse Ordered Sets.  If an RS receives a Remote Fault
>     Pulse Ordered Set, it must stop sending packets and send
>     only Idles.

I cannot find any indication that if an RS receives a Remote Fault Pulse
Ordered Set, that it must stop sending packets and send Idles.  As far as  I
can tell, all Clause 46 says about reception of Remote Fault messages is
that this "indicates that the link partner DTE has detected a fault (and
consequently will not transmit frames."  I know the end paranthesis is
missing, but I take that to simply mean that the link partner will not
transmit frames, but it says nothing about the local device inhibiting
transmission of MAC frames.  Later on, it describes what happens when the
local device receives local fault messages, but nothing about remote fault
messages.  What exactly was your intention with this?  Should the local
device stop transmitting frames when it receives Remote Fault status
messages?  It seems as if this is so, and I'll submit a comment about it if
that is correct.

Eric Lynskey
UNH InterOperability Lab