Re: Clock Tolerance and WAN PHY

Tricci,

You are absolutely correct that the purpose of the WAN PHY is to provide
SONET compatibility. In the case that dark fiber or wavelengths are
available, it should be clear that the LAN PHY can provide LAN, MAN and
WAN application support without requiring either SONET or the WAN PHY.
Proof can be found in practice with Gigabit Ethernet deployment in new
MAN and WAN applications. Note that there is no such thing as a Gigabit
Ethernet WAN PHY, GE supports only a single PHY, essentially a LAN PHY.
The 10GE Physical layer and LAN PHY specifies a 40 km distance
objective, far exceeding the 5 km distance spec of Gigabit Ethernet.
Therefore, the 10GE LAN PHY is poised to address significantly more MAN
and WAN applications than Gigabit Ethernet.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Tricci So wrote:

> I just join the email list couple weeks ago.  I have been trying to follow
> all the discussions so far.   May I ask a dump question regarding making
> 10GbE to be supported over leased fiber or privately owned fiber or
> wavelengths, why it has to be WAN PHY and not LAN PHY?  I thought the
> purpose of WAN PHY is just to make it SONET compatible???  Can anybody
> educate me on this rationale??   Please forgive my ignorance.....

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com