From: Uyeshiro, Robin [mailto:Robin.Uyeshiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 1:33 PM
To: stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Newbie question on draft 2.1

HSSG,

I'm violating the first law of reflectors here by asking a question before
listening for a while, but the deadline, an unsuccessful search of the
archive, and my confusion have forced the issue.  I apologize if I offend.

The first question is about the Local Fault ordered set when using a WIS
(clause 49).  The  Link Fault Signaling state machine in the RS (clause 46)
responds to received Local Fault ordered sets, but I cannot see where these
are generated when using a WIS.  The far end RS doesn't seem to transmit a
Local Fault ordered set (p.266), and I don't see anything in the WIS that
would put it on the receive path.  Error blocks are generated, according to
the WIS Receive state machine, but not ordered sets.  Could someone point me
in the right direction?

The second question concerns error blocks.  The WIS defines EBLOCK_R as
having /E/ in all 8 character locations, but the PCS shows figure 46-8
Reception with error as a single byte of /E/ surrounded by frame data.  Is
this simply an old figure 46-8?

Thank you,
Robin Uyeshiro
Adtech/Spirent