RE: Minimum IPG w/ WIS ?

Mike and Julio,

Actually I disagree with the statement that stretching of the IPG must take
into account preserving the 12 byte IPG. As I commented on D2.0, the
10GBASE-R PCS can encode any IPG of 5 characters or more and the 12
character average IPG would only shrink to about 11 characters if we didn't
account for it in calculating the stretch. For the speed difference with the
WIS a calculation that didn't include IPG would produce a valid encodeable
data steam. The one downside is that if we wanted to accomodate a much more
severe speed difference in the future (decreasing ifsStretchRatio) would be
that the calculation without the IPG might produce very short IPGs.

We could also discard the excess bits left over in ifsStretchCount at the
end of the frame which would produce a shrinkage of average in the WIS
encoded stream of about another character. If we did both, the average IPG
in WIS encoded stream for back to back packets would be 10 characters which
is plenty.

For generality, we are sacrificing about a byte of throughput per frame, but
I didn't get support for the changes and it isn't broken.

What Mike said about the inability to add and delete idles is correct with
respect to the Sonet framer. It is just getting encoded scrambled data and
has no idea what is IPG vs data. The transmitting PCS handles the deletion
of idles to get things to the Sonnet data stream rate and the receiving PCS
handles insertion of the idles to restore things back to the 10 Gb/s rate.

We do not specify where in the PCS this function must reside. However, since
one cannot be sure of having 8 byte 64B/66B block of data available to
delete during IPGs and there is no way to delete half a block, it would be
difficult to do idle deletion on the 64B/66B encoded data.

Regards,
Pat