RE: XAUI signal detect

All:

There appears to be massive confusion here.  Don't know if this will add to it or clear it up, but here goes...

Pat reiterated in her post in this thread, and the language of comment 930 to D2.0 confirms, that what was originally requested was a group of signal detect *wires*, to be added to XGXS.  And I remind everyone that the functionality was not intended to detect that the XGXS itself was disconnected.  Rather, it was to communicate from a retimer across the XGXS that an optical signal was not being received.

The comment resolution includes this text:  "the editors decided to add squelch text following the precidence of clause 39...".  The text of 2.1 is unequivocal that a signal-squelch with analog amplitude detect is required, viz:  "an unavoidable consequence of the requirements for the setting of the signal_detect<3:0> parameters, implementations must provide adequate margin between the input signal level at which the signal_detect<3:0> parameters are set to OK, and the inherent sensitivity of the XAUI receiver to various noise sources..."  This is in concert with Dawson's post in this thread, which indicates that his intention was that signal detect be a state variable, and not a physical wire.

Upon further consideration (see my original post and Tord's followups) it seems there's agreement that XAUI signal detect by means of squelching the signal and detecting this at the receiver is funcamentally flawed.  The conversation has thus turned back to implementing signal detect *wires*, where it originally started.

While a group of sideband signals to communicate link status per lane will at least work, I still find it to be unnecessary.  We have a perfectly good, reasonably simple way to signal, in band, whether the link is broken or not.  We have a prescribed method for finding out which lanes are up or down, and where the signal flow stops.  After further thought, I agree with Pat's comment that idles should be randomized all the time, and that having different EMI spectra during fault conditions than otherwise is not good and is easily avoidable.  But creating another bundle of four wires just to report whether there's any information on the first bundle of four signals seems excessive to me.  If we were willing to double the XAUI pin count, we could have cut the data rate in half, and the implementation would have been a lot easier!

The right solution here is that a XAUI retimer should behave like a good PCS, and signal detect from the PMA should be OR'ed in with the other conditions that cause it to report a Local Fault condition in the usual way, i.e. with LF messages interspersed in the normal (randomized) idle stream.

Regards,

Joel Dedrick