Ethernet Characteristics re: packet loss

I have a quick question.... someone made a statement that it is a
characteristic that once you go above 40% LAN capability, the you will begin
to lose packets.  This doesn't seem to hold water with me.  I recently
performed a test whereby we injected packets at 100%, 75%, 50%, 25% 10% & 5%
network capability.  We had 2 laptops, 1 desktop (PIII dual processor), a
LAN Analyzer, and a SmartBits 200 generator -- at 100% both the laptops 40%
of the packets we were sending -- the desktop captured 70% --- in both cases
the application running on the platforms was using 100% of the processing
time. -- my suspicion is that this is where the packets are being loss -- in
the processing arena.

Can you shed any light on this?

Thank you,

Tony Stout