RE: Clause 48: enable_cdet

Shawn,

I believe the enable_cdet functionality is the same as the required EN_CDET
signal in the pma service interface of 802.3z.  When true, the PMA will
force any serial +comma to align to it's 10 bit output.  I believe that is
the implied functionality of the enable_cdet signal in 802.3ae but it's not
explicitly stated.

In the LOSS_OF_SYNC state, the enable_cdet signal is forcing the PMA to
align to a comma.  Once a valid comma is detected on the 802.3ae service
interface , enable_cdet can be deasserted.  In 802.3z, there is another
required signal called COM_DET that indicates this condition.  There is no
such required interface signal in 802.3ae so it up to the user to figure out
how and where he/she wants to detect this condition and implement the state
machine.

The COMMA_DETECT1-3 states are looking for 3 properly aligned commas in the
absence of an asserted enable_cdet signal.  This would indicate a high
likelihood that the alignment that was forced in the LOSS_OF_SYNC state
(with an asserted enable_cdet) was a good one.

Ted