RE: Clause 48: Errors after T.

Warning, thread may be continuing to the point of absurdity :-)

Pat,

It is true that an error in the extension should cause a CRC error. My point
was that the error might not be detected until the first idle following the
extension. Strictly speaking, there is no requirement that this error be
propagated back (at least none that I know of).

Regarding the disparity checking, from a standards perspective, what you say
is true. But, there are implementations of 8B/10B that do not do "table
lookup." Strictly speaking, a decoder should not "correctly" decode a dectet
(? is that a word we use ?) that is in the wrong column of 36-1 or 36-2.
But, there are logic simplifications that utilize different characteristics
of the 8B/10B code to "cheat." The /T/ you talk about does not, for
instance, violate the maximum disparity of +/- 4 (following the trellis
diagram from +1 through to +1). What I personally like about the K28.5;
K28.3 (etc) is that if you start with a +1 and have the wrong disparity, you
end up with a +2. Clearly broke using any of the simplification schemes.

I know, someone who does this deserves what they get.

Regarding your analysis of the back propagation. You are clearly right here.
Thanks. Even so, I would return to my major point, if there needs to be a
buffer in either the mandatory xor the optional logic, put it in the
optional.

jonathan