Re: Clause 48 Questions

Pat,

I agree with all your responses to Boaz.

Boaz,

Please submit a comment to cover your 3rd issue and thanks for pointing
out this error.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

pat_thaler@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Boaz,
>
> There is a difference between the delay specified in prior drafts which was
> for MDI to XGMII and the delay specified here which is only the delay of a
> single PCS or a single XGXS. The old delay therefore included the PMD delay
> which now has a separate 512 bits round trip allocated. The editiors were
> tasked to come up with reasonable delay figures and a consistant way to
> express them for all the sublayers. The new number appeared in clause 44 of
> D2.1 in a table summarizing all the delays but clause 48 was not updated to
> match. This of course resulted in comments and the change you see in D2.3
> reflects the resolution of the comments.
>
> On your second point, the rules for error propagation never require an error
> to be moved back 2 columns. They only require an error in the |T| column
> that falls after the /T/ to be copied  to the prior column and an error in
> the column after the |T| column to be copied to the |T| column. Therefore,
> the error propogation rules require an additional delay of 32 BT. (Remember
> that BT is bit times for the MAC bits - a column has 32 MAC data bits
> encoded into 40 code bits.)
>
> On your third question, I think you have found a mistake. The delay in
> clause 48 should include the PMA. That is what the entry in Clause 44
> specifies.
>
> Regards,
> Pat

Richard Taborek Sr.     XAUI Sherpa     Intel Corporation
Santa Clara Design Center     Network Components Division
408-496-3423     Fax: 408-486-9859     Cell: 408-832-3957
3101 Jay Street, Suite 110          Santa Clara, CA 95054
mailto:rich.taborek@xxxxxxxxx        http://www.intel.com