From: pat_thaler@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pat_thaler@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 10:48 AM
To: bradley.booth@xxxxxxxxx; stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Chapter 46: preamble length

Brad,

Since we seem to be taking a poll - I agree with Brad. Any device causing
preamble shrinkage in 10 Gig Ethernet would be non-compliant. All the data
manipulating physical layers (meaning those that handle encoding and
decoding) have state machines specifying how the encoding takes place and
those state machines show that when data is received, the data is encoded
and sent. We have text that explicitly allows deleting idles and, in some
circumstances, ordered sets. We don't have any text allowing deletion of any
kind of data and the layers below the RS have  no knowledge of preamble.
WIS, the PMAs, and the PMDs do not do deletion.

Furthermore, we have made sure that there are plenty of idles available for
deletion. On the other hand, preamble is only 8 bytes and deletions can only
be done in 4 byte chunks. If devices were relying on the ability to delete
preamble, there is only one chance per frame so if a device higher on the
stack deleted one, there are no chances per frame.

If you believe that the current draft text allows deletion of preamble, then
it also allows deletion of an arbitrary 4 bytes of data because there is no
text in any of the PCS clauses that treats preamble differently than any
other data byte.

Also, note that if a device deleted preamble, it would be a different kind
of deletion. Normally deletion happens to a column of idle or an ordered
set. Neither of the preamble containing columns is deletable because one
contains the /S/ and the other contains the SFD. An implementation deleting
preamble would have to delete some bytes from one column and some from the
next column combining the ends of the columns to make a new column.

Regards,
Pat