RE: Connector Return Loss (1550 nm versus 850/1300 nm)

Paul and Goeff,

The Telecordia 40-dB return loss requirement may be intended for
1550-nanometer systems.  There was a discussion of these issues at the
Tampa 10GbE meeting in 2000, mostly revolving around what the receiver
return loss should be.  Basically, 850 and 1300 nanometer links are short
(1 Km or less) and are build by connecting randomly-chosen parts from bins,
while 1550 nanometer links are long (tens of Km) and are individually
engineered.  Use of optical isolators was discussed as well, but this is a
transmitter design issue, and thus should not be required.  The final
agreement was to leave the connector return loss specs as they were, but
for 1550 only tighten the receiver loss, and the RIN specs and measurement
would be how the transmitter was specified.  A tranmitter with an overly
sensitive laser might require an isolater, but this is not for the standard
to say.  If memory serves, the return loss spec was changed from 12 dB to
20 or 26 dB; the current draft should tell the story.

Anyway, we may wish to use Telecordia optical specs across the board for
1550 nanometer links, but 1300 and 850 nm links are a different issue.

Joe