Ethernet question

Hi,

I have a question to ask,
I am working on a mac controller for ethernet. i see
that there are many implementation that support 1000base-x phy, by
design the pcs layer in hardware (8b/10b enc/dec) which is a part of
the phy layer. So,my question is, why the mac controllers that support
only
1000base-t does not care a bout the implementation of the pcs layer, is
it because there is no conversion from 8bit to 10 bit, or  is it becuse
the 1000base-x phy usely comes witout the pcs laye and the 1000base-T do
have pcs or did i missed the point totally ?

I will be happy to get your answer or any idea to solve this  question.

Thanks,
Yaron