From: Luigi.Ronchetti@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Luigi.Ronchetti@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 8:47 AM
To: pbottorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
Cc: Luigi.Ronchetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: One common type of 64B/66B PCS?

Paul,

in principle it is possible to distinguish between 10GBASE-R and
10GBASE-W using a sort of "parallel detection" (from a SONET point
of view, the 10GBASE-R signal is seen as a "random" signal, and
viceversa), if both are using the same clock rate.

In a point-to-point connection there are two cases:

1) [10GbE port A] <=> [transparent ntwk] <=> [10GbE port B]
2) [10GbE port A]   <=>  [SONET ntwk]  <=>   [10GbE port B]

In the first case "transparent" means OTN or "2R/3R WDM" or dark fibre.
The second case is when in between the two 10GbE ports there is a
SONET network (or the cascading of transp. and SONET networks, with at
least one segment being an SONET network).
Let's suppone that the "default" mode of the two 10GbE ports is
10GBASE-R: only in the second case the two 10GbE ports will "see" a
valid SONET signal because the two Regenerator Section layers at the
"boundary" of the SONET network (inside the ELTEs) will, in any case,
generate a SONET framing.
So only in the second case the two 10GbE ports will go to use SONET
framing for both TX/RX sides.
This can work also when one of the two 10GbE ports is forced to be
10GBASE-W by human intervention.
Of course there is the need to better understand which is the best
"strategy" to be adopted (hysteresis, time-out, ...) in case of
temporary failure of the link, to avoid "ping-pong" decisions.

Best regards,
Luigi Ronchetti