RE: Clause 48: unaligned 8b10b stream problem

Brian,
  First lets assume the case you outlined actually happened - that a lane
slipped a bit but did not cause Loss of Sync.

In this case:
 - align_status=fail would occur within 8 frames (since the first ||I||
after every other frame would be an ||A||)
 - The receiver would then generate local fault
 - The RS would then transmit remote fault to the link partner sourcing the
line-rate frames
 - Upon reception of remote fault, the link partners RS would then inhibit
frame transmission and source ||I||

so in a worse case, if this unlikely scenario was occurring, then after 8
frames + the max round trip propagation delay, the Sync state machine would
lose sync (after receiving 4 bit-slipped /A/,/K/,or /R/ which would cause
PUDI=/INVALID/)

Given the unlikely nature of the problem, this "slow" recovery mechanism
seems to be adequate and requires no change to the standard.

Regards,
	Bob Noseworthy
	(603) 862-4342
	UNH InterOperability Lab