From: Jugnu Ojha [mailto:jojha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 5:30 PM
To: 'pat_thaler@xxxxxxxxxxx'; benny.christensen@xxxxxxxxx;
stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: 20 / 100 ppm

Folks,

Although I'm not an expert on this issue, I can propose some reasoning
behind some of the cost statements being made.  Presumably, clock recovery
should be easier with a lower-jitter signal (20 ppm), since the signal is
effectively cleaner (i.e., you should need a lower-Q resonator - another way
of saying the resonator doesn't need to be as robust against jitter).
Basically, a cleaner signal relaxes the requirements on the receiver.  Now,
this should only matter much if it makes the difference between having an
integrated resonator or a discrete one - the latter would increase costs
associated with packaging, yield loss, etc.

Regards,
Jugnu

Jugnu J. Ojha, Ph.D.
Technical Advisor, Optical Networking