Re: [802.3ae] a bit concerned...

Roy,

Thanks for writing back and I'm looking forward to seeing you in
Portland next week. My replies to your responses are included below.

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Rich,

> 1. The WAN PHY PMDs are esentually done because of the similarity to the
> SONET OC192.

I agree with you 100%. This is the very reason that development of the
WAN PHY in P802.3ae is a redundant activity. 10GE mapping to legacy
SONET equipment requires only rate control to match a 10 Gbps MAC rate
to a slower OC-192 line rate and a simple means of mapping Ethernet
packets to an OC-192c SPE. The PHY might as well be a SONET PHY since a
third PHY which is neither Ethernet nor SONET is superfluous.

The point I was making in my original point (1) is that technical
feasibility of a 10G Serial PHY has precedence in SONET and, as you add,
Digital Wrapper. The problem with SONET is one of economic feasibility
in light of end-to-end Ethernet competition from the 10GE LAN PHY.

> 2. There is no way that a 10.3 Gb/s signaling can not be more demanding
> than 9.9 Gb/s signaling.

Au contrare. Specifically at issue is whether 10.3125 GBaud signaling in
support of the 10GE LAN PHY architecture for MAN/metro applications to
40 km is more demanding than 9.95328 GBaud signaling in support of WAN
applications well in excess of 40 km? I'd say that the latter is a more
demanding application than the former. The proof is in the
point-to-point topology nature of the 10GE LAN PHY, which eliminates
jitter transfer requirements, and the link distance limit, which
additionally reduces the jitter contribution of the channel to the total
link jitter budget. This is exactly why 10GE LAN PHY jitter specs need
not be as demanding as those of SONET OC-192 and the reason for my
associated TR comment against D3.1.

> 3. Do not inter-mix OTN and ASON.  Do not lump me into the telephony heads
> that are trying to re-create a redundant overhead for SONET and SDH.  I am
> not a supporter of OTN or the Digital Wrapper and never have been.  I do
> not see the need for DW technology except for submarine cable systems.  The
> existing SONET and SDH technologies are doing a good job now and do not
> need to be replaced.  As for 10GbE LAN PHY is the strongest contender for
> 10G MAN/metro applications, it depends on whether it is implemented by an
> enterprise user or a service provider.

I apologize for my erroneous association of you with OTN and Digital
Wrapper. I'll make sure to not do this in the future.

Submarine cable systems are nothing but ultra-long-haul links. The
reason to deploy Digital Wrapper technology there is because it is
expensive to put a retimer in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle. The
same goes for putting up an extra shack for a retimer in the middle of
Utah. As data rates inevitably go up due to demand and available
technology, additional technology such as FEC makes more sense to deploy
at the link ends than shacks, power stations and Yellow Submarine trips
to the Bermuda Triangle. I believe that the same technology is ready for
prime time in the metro make low cost 40-80 km links a reality.

As far as contenders go, the 10GE LAN PHY, coming from Ethernet, and
supporting end-to-end Ethernet will support Ethernet pricing,
scalability, manageability, familiarity, interoperability, etc. All
enterprise users are already sold on Ethernet, this is a no-brainer.
Service providers and carriers are already looking at Ethernet at 1G. I
predict that they'll be doing much more than looking at 10G.

--

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.                     Intel Corporation
XAUI Sherpa                    Intel Communications Group
3101 Jay Street, Suite 110         Optical Products Group
Santa Clara, CA 95054           Santa Clara Design Center
408-496-3423                                     JAY1-101
Cell: 408-832-3957          mailto:rich.taborek@xxxxxxxxx
Fax: 408-486-9783                    http://www.intel.com