[802.3ae] XAUI Rj TR comment and beyond--

A twist of the thread - the other was getting beaten to death!

Anthony - other than a couple of tiny picks, I generally agree with all
in your message. However, I would like to react a bit to your proposal
for tolerance testing.

Recognizing that a RANGE of signal and jitter combinations will be seen
in applications, I personally believe that testing at least 2 points
over a range is appropriate. As such, I am uncomfortable documenting
only a single test condition in the standard. In my FC work, my first
point combined min edge rates and max DDJ from high channel attenuation
& ISI, minimum amplitude, additional RJ as needed to achieve TJ, and
finally application of SJ (test for slow and/or poor sensitivity Rx).
The other point included max edge rates and min DDJ, max RJ to achieve
TJ, then finally SJ (test for over-equalization and/or overdrive
problems, etc.). I assumed if I would operate at these 2 extremes, then
I had a good chance of working in between.

I need to reiterate - with some risk of not being inclusive, these were
my choices, required to avoid testing all possible combinations. These
choices were not suggested in any way by the standard.

Therefore, I would still like to see a range implied for receivers.
Furthermore, the choice of actual test setup(s) MUST be left up to
developers and not specifically called out in the standard, otherwise
developers will optimize to the setup(s) and not to the range of actual
applications. Our challenge should be to define the signal range(s) as
we have been doing, not the test conditions. We just have to get the
numbers right.

So, back to Howard's original issue, I am not against limiting the
frequency content and/or amplitude of RJ spec for XAUI. I too mentioned
(to Dawson) the thought about holding the amplitude to the driver value.
This seems to be the simplest answer.

Your suggested set of Rx test values seems reasonable, but many others
are possible. Their exclusion must be a risk-choice of the developer.

Thoughts?

Finally, I plan to soon send a related email that suggests that IC
developers may want to think carefully about limiting RJ tolerance
capability because of possible usage in optical links.

Thanks, Tom
Stratos