Re: AW: [802.3ae] XAUI Rj TR comment

Anthony,

I agree with all of your analysis. However, I disagree with the basic
premise that you make about receive equalization. IEEE P802.3ae does not
support receive equalization in any form for any interface. More
specifically, XAUI does not support receive equalization. Therefore, no
changes should be made to the D3.2 in response to any outstanding
comments which claim an inability to support XAUI receive equalization.
All such comments must be rejected in the interest of meeting P802.3ae
objectives.

I believe that receive equalization is the basic premise for all XAUI Rj
comments. If I am wrong, then any argument for supporting XAUI receive
equalization in any manner must be purged from any discussion of XAUI Rj
comments. I strongly urge all 802.3 voters to consider this argument.
The purpose of the following background material is to explain XAUI
operation in the presence or absence of equalization:

--

The reason is that supporting receive equalization would be an
interoperability nightmare with negative cost/performance implications

XAUI specified transmit equalization simply enables additional XAUI
reach in a cost effective manner compatible with XAUI receive
specifications. Permitted XAUI configurations currently include:

1) DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

2) DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

3) DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

4) DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

All four configurations above must support at least 20" over common
FR-4. My sense is that virtually all XAUI implementations will utilize
configuration 4 which supports transmit equalization on both XGXS sides
in order to keep power at a minimum while meeting or exceeding XAUI
objectives. It is my experience that most if not all XAUI vendors
support transmit equalization at no cost premium over no equalization.

XAUI transmit equalization simply de-emphasizes lower frequency signals
with respect to higher ones. Since XAUI signals are 8B/10B based, the
highest frequency signal is at 1/2 Baud (1.5625 GHz) and the lowest
frequency is 1/10 Baud (312.5 MHz). The de-emphasis is with respect to
signal amplitude. Transmit equalization implementation is not specified
by Clause 47 only either transmit and receive or receive only templates
must be met. However, one of the simplest, cost effective and time
tested approaches to transmit equalization is the reduce the amplitude
of lower frequency signals with respect to higher frequency signals. The
following example illustrates one of the simplest forms of transmit
equalization, reducing the amplitude of the 2nd consecutive signaled bit
of the same value (i.e. zero or one). Please use a fixed width font to
display anything meaningful.

--+   +---+       +--+            +-//
  |   |   |       |   \           | //
  |   |   |       |    +------+   | //
  |   |   |       |           |   | //
  |   |   |       |           |   | //
  |   |   |       |           |   | //
  |   |   |       |           |   | //
  |   |   |       |           |   | //
  |   |   |    +--+           |   | //
  |   |   |   /               |   | //
  +---+   +--+                +---+ //
1   0   1   0   0   1   1   1   0

Note that the signaling above is logical and not representative of the
physical differential signaling over XAUI.

Receive equalization was rejected as unnecessary in meeting XAUI
objectives, not cost effective and not interoperable during XAUI
development. If receive equalization were to be allowed at this late
point in P802.3ae development the permitted XAUI configurations would
include:

1) DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

2) DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

3) DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

4) DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

5) DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

6) DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

7) DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

8) DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

9) DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - Rx Eq    <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

10)DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - Rx Eq    <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

11)DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - Rx Eq    <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

12)DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - Rx Eq    <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - Tx Eq

13)DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - Rx Eq    <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

14)DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - No Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - Rx Eq    <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

15)DTE XGXS Tx - Tx Eq    -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - Rx Eq    <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

16)DTE XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq -----XAUI-----> PHY XGXS Rx - Rx Eq
   DTE XGXS Rx - Rx Eq    <---Channel---- PHY XGXS Tx - No Tx Eq

I trust that the above clearly portrays the interoperability nature of
adding receive equalization to XAUI at this late juncture. Note also
that the addition of receive equalization to XAUI must be considered a
major technical change to P802.3ae and must be considered out of order
as the cut off for last P802.3ae feature was November 2000 and the cut
off for the last P802.3a technical change was May, 2001.

In conclusion, any development or changes to XAUI or Rj methodology must
not consider receive equalization.

Best Regards,
Rich