RE: [802.3ae] Wan Interface Sublayer

Gerry,

This is a bit too complicated to go into detail here. Let me give you the
30k-ft version.

The entire jitter specification and test methodology for SONET is different
than in 802.3ae. This is due, in part, to the objectives for the two
standards organizations and the history of the groups. In the case of SONET,
a primary objective is to limit jitter propagation (yes, this is a
simplification); in 802.3ae, the primary objective is plug and play (no
engineered links; no jitter propagation).

In fact, while there is certain similarity between the 802.3ae and the
802.3z (or Gigabit Fibre Channel) jitter specifications and test
methodologies, even these are significantly different (compare clauses 38
and 52). Even if the specifications (the actual numbers) were the same, it
wouldn't mean anything since what is measured is not the same.

jonathan

Jonathan Thatcher
Principal Engineer, World Wide Packets
Chair, IEEE P802.3ae Task Force