RE: (2) [802.3ae] WIS Test Pattern Error Counts

Bruce,

The fact that the B1/B2/B3 error checking processes are used
to report bit errors does not imply that a test pattern checker
function is not required, or that the test pattern checker will
not report bit errors. The WIS clause specifies functionality
and not implementation. The test pattern checker functionality
is required to be present, even though an actual implementation
of the WIS would most probably just re-use all of the Receive
datapath mechanisms needed for normal operation, and add simple
CID pattern processing logic to this. In fact, the last paragraph
plus the last Note in subclause 50.3.8.2 tries to bring this out.

Hope this answers your question.

Best regards,

- Tom Alexander
WIS Scribe