RE: (3) [802.3ae] WIS Test Pattern Error Counts

Tom,

No problem with the communications.  These things always
take time.  Especially since I get to read it fresh and
you have probably read it 100 times.  Also, I have 1 issue,
and you have many to deal with, I'm sure.

I don't think the test pattern checker has to synchronize
to the test pattern in ANY way, only to the WIS frame.
It, in fact, requires no knowledge of the existence of
a test pattern.  It just reports B1/B2/B3 errors.  Any
mention of synchronization to the test pattern will
create confusion since no such synchronization is
required. (the words "test pattern" can be mis-construed)

There is no synchronization to the TSS either, since that
is a 2 frame structure.  Synchronization is only to the WIS
frames within the TSS.

How about:
"The test pattern checker shall
 have the ability to synchronize to the WIS frames within the TSS
 as defined in 50.3.8.2.1, and report errors detected within the frame
 to the Station Management entity.  Error detection will be by means of
the
 normal WIS BIP parity error checking mechanisms, using the B1, B2 and
B3
 octets within the frames."

Not much different, but feels much better to me.

Bruce