From: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of ?2$a,t
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 10:35 PM
To: stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3ae] ask some questions....

At First, I have to say sorry.
I still have some questions and maybe my questions are a little big.
Thanks for your answer.

1. This standard specifies a family of  physical layer implementations
include
    10GBASE-R, 10GBASE-W, 10GBASE-X. What do "R","W", and "X" mean?
    "W" refer to" WAN", right?

2. The XAUI is a low pin count, "self-clocked" serial bus that is
directly evolved from the
    Gigabit Ethernet 1000BASE-X PHY.
    what does "self-clocked" mean?  XAUI, its working frequency is
2.5Ghz, right?

3.(1) Jitter test mode operates when the PCS is attached to a WIS or
not?
        It seems jitter test mode operates with or without the WIS, then
what's the difference between
        jitter test mode operates with or without the WIS? and when need
to operate in jitter test mode?
   (2) Besides, what are normal mode and  jitter test mode mean, their
functions are?

4. In the 802.3ae spec(Draft3.0 March 2001), I have some prolems about
the figure50-2,
    Can you tell me what's the function of the following connections?
    because I don't find the answer in the text.
    (1)connection between "receive process block" and " transmit process
block"
    (2)connection between "receive process block" and "layer management"

    (3)connection between "Synchronization process block" and "layer
management"

5. In clause 50, chapter 50.3.2.1, the following sentence makes me so
confuse.
   " The J1 octet shall transport a 16-octet continously repeating Trace
Massage that is formatted
     as defined by Section 5 and Annex A of ANSI T1.269-2000"
    I guess it means when  transmits consecutive WIS frames, the Trace
Massage octet shall be placed in J1,
   and transmits 16 times, after all the 16 octets have been transmitted
in this way, transmit process repeats, right?
    That is the length of Trace Message is 16 octets, and each J1 has  a
fixed value, right?

6.In clause 50, chapter 50.3.2.2, the following sentence makes me so
confuse.
   "The H1 and H2 pointer octets shall be set by the transmit process,
in accordance with the
     pointer mechanism defined by ANSI T1.416-1999, to indicate a
constant pointer value of 522 decimal,
    and shall also indicate a concatenated payload"
   (1) Each of  H1 and H2 is  8 bits, how to  indicate a constant
pointer value of 522 decimal ?
   (2) and their function are "pointer" , what it mean?

7. In the 802.3ae spec(Draft3.0 March 2001), I have some prolems about
the figure50-3,
    Why need the process path(line) defects block,but don't need a "
process section defects block" ,
    and what are these blocks doing?