[802.3ae] ask some question

Thanks for your help..
1.In the 802.3ae spec.(Draft3.0 March 2001), I have some problems with
the figure 49-13.
(1)when  ber_cnt exceeds "16",it indicates a bit error rate>10E-4,
why...can you tell me how to calculate this equation?
(2)the 125us_timer is how to choose?

2.(1)In the 802.3ae spec.(Draft3.0 March 2001), I have some problems
with the figure 49-12.
sh_cnt: count the number of sync headers checked within the current "64"
block window,the parameter "64" is how to choose?
  (2)test_sh: boolean value which is set true when a new sync header is
available for testing and false when TESH_SH state is entered. how does
it know that the two bits are sync header?