Re: [802.3ae] Clarification of the 10GBASE-W ELTE function

Mike,

There is a single point of failure that prevents a WIS as defined by IEEE
from ever being an interface on SONET ADM.  The client interface on a SONET
ADM requires clock synchronization either through "loop timing" or
"PRS".  Neither of these are available in the WIS.  This lack of
synchronization to a transmission network prevents the ADM from being able
to multiplex the WIS signal into a SONET signal.
As defined, the WIS can never be a client of a SONET or SDH system.  It can
be a "peer" on an optical network only.  The T1X1.5 proposal provides for a
"peering" between a WIS and a SONET managed optical network.  It does not
provide for the WIS to be an interface on a SONET system.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
Orbital View LLC