From: Ed Turner [mailto:ed.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 5:30 AM
To: IEEE HSSG
Subject: Re: [802.3ae] 10GBASE-X PCS; status register definition?

Gareth,

You are correct to highlight this and are not failing to spot a reference,
the definition of receive link status has not been mapped explicitly to any
primitives (or variables).
Management is pervasive throughout the PHY and the MDIO register bits do not
necessarily have to map directly to any primitives or variables.
In earlier versions of the draft, there was an additional register with
lane-by-lane bits for synchronization and a global bit when all lanes were
synchronized. The receive link status bit was defined as a latching
reflection of this global sync bit.  This lane-by-lane register was
(correctly) removed since the synchronization function is part of the PCS
for 10GBASE-X rather than the PMA.
There would be less ambiguity if we were to map this bit directly to some
primitive or variable and reference out to Clauses 51 and 48. The question
is how we do it. As Pat said in her e-mail yesterday, this would have to be
a re-circ comment, but there's no change against which to comment. It may be
stretching the definition of an editorial comment to make this change to
Clauses 45 and 48.
I would also be interested in hearing the views of the Clause 51 and 48
people.

Regards
Ed
(Clause 45 editor)