RE: [802.3ae] Clause 48: Check_end Question

Gareth

The normative text for check_end has the same meaning as the text you quote.
The relevant sentence from the check_end definition is:
The XGMII Error control character is returned
in all lanes less than n in ||T||, where n identifies the specific Terminate
ordered-set ||T n ||, for which
a running disparity error or any code-groups other than /A/ or /K/ are
recognized in the column
following ||T||.

Error is returned in lanes less than n in ||T|| for which an error is
recognized in the column following the ||T||.

Doug's interpretation of the sentence is not correct. It does not say that
an error is returned in lanes less than n when an error occurs in the column
after the ||T||. The subtle thing in the sentence is "lanes ... for which".
For Doug's example

> If the receiver sees this input:
>
> ... D D A  R ...
> ... D D A  R ...
> ... D T A  R ...
> ... D K A* R ...
>
> where "A*" is an A with a disparity error, should the receiver return
> this as a response:

the result would not be:
> ... D E I  I ...
> ... D E I  I ...
> ... D T I  I ...
> ... D I E  I ...

It would be

... D D I I ...
... D D I I ...
... D T I I ...
... D I E I ...

because there was not an error in lane 0 or 1 of the column after the ||T||.

The sentence is perhaps a little hard to read and the next sentence (the one
about returning an error in the column before the T) is written a bit more
clearly. Adding "in the corresponding lane" would hammer the point home
better (especially since when the next sentence uses it the reader thinks
that this sentence not having it means something), but it shouldn't be
essential.

Pat