[802.3ae] RE: [802.3ae_Serial] 802.3ae PRBSs are upside down

hehe --- we definitely have a bit of a mess here.

You interpret the "inverted signal" statements in O.150 to mean
that the output must be inverted.  Makes sense to me.

In addition the PRBS31 specified in 802.3ae 4.01 is also not O.150
compatible since it's output sequence does not start at the proper place
in the sequence.  The output should be the inverted MSB, not the input.

Section 4 states that the digital signal  is take from the output of the
shift register.
If you read Section 5.1 you will see that this sequence starts with the first
1 of a sequence of 9 ones.  That is most easily done by resetting to all
1's and taking the output from the MSB.

By specifying the PRBS31 with it's output from the input stage and referencing
O.150, you are implying that the PRBS23 should be generated the same way.
This will result in a different WIS test pattern payload that if the output
is the MSB.

The polarity of the PRBS23 is not clear.  O.150 says it should be inverted,
and 802.3ae says that the "PRBS output" should be inverted before it is placed
in the second frame.  Is the PRBS output the already inverted O.150 output?

The matching of the polarity of the CID bits and the payload
would be changed if the PRBS23 lsfr output were inverted or not inverted.

The x**7 + x**6 + 1 scrambler is the worldwide specified SONET payload scrambler.
It is specified in ANSI T1.105-1995, and ITU-T G.707.
It also is MSB out and has no inversions.  In this case (and the WIS PRBS23) the
output bit placement (MSB, etc) is important since the lsfr is reset to all 1's for
each frame.

In summary:

1.  The PRBS31 scrambler specified in 4.01 is drawn at odds with O.150 in that the
output is taken from the input, rather than from the MSB, and it is not inverted.

2.  The output bit position is important in the PRBS23 scrambler since it is
reset to all 1's after every frame. It's polarity is important relative to the CID.
The PRBS23 "prbs output" should be the MSB inverted.
That is, the first frame of the WIS test pattern will contain the shift
register MSB inverted. This is important if you want the CID to match the
prbs pattern, and meet the letter of O.150.

Bruce

parent=T-REC-O
.150 .  Each PRBS has one run of identical bits as long as the generator
polynomial, of one type only.  For example, PRBS31 has one run of 31 zeroes
per pattern, in the O.150 definition, or one run of 31 ones per pattern, in
the D4.1 definition.

Does anyone know where the PRBS7 in the test equipment is defined?  I
believe some, maybe all, test equipment uses !(X^7 + X^6 + 1) (i.e. contains
a run of 7 zeroes) which is O.150 style, by default.  Are all makes of test
equipment the same on this?  Can all invert the pattern (generating and
checking)?

Piers