FW: Why 10xGbE may be a bigger market than 1xGbE - a customer's perspective

To: Bill ST Arnaud/CANARIE

From: David Dolfi/Hewlett-Packard

Subject: DWDM in "gopher" fiber

Date: 5/5/99

Your message to the GbE high speed study group (below) was forwarded
to me by one of my engineers.  In it you make the point that wide WDM
(WWDM) might not work on "gopher bait" fiber.  As an advocate of WWDM
for 10 Gb Ethernet, I would like to understand why this is the case.
I would think that fiber which is damaged or overspliced would work
better at the lower baud rate (3.125 GBd) of 4 channel WWDM than at
the 4X higher baud rate (12.5 GBd) of serial 10 Gb Ethernet.

Please remember when responding  that the 4 channel WWDM we are advocating
for 10 Gb Ethernet has the following properties:

1. The targeted link lengths are 10 km or less, so no EDFA's are
required.
2. The 4 wavelengths we are using are in the 1300 nm region of the
spectrum (NOT 1550) and have channel spacings of 15-20 nm.

Finally, I would think that fiber which is overspliced and/or
damaged would have a high loss, and I'm puzzled why a multi-level
coding scheme (which typically requires a high S/N ratio) would be
suitable for such fiber while WWDM would not.

Am I missing the point here?  Please respond!

Dave Dolfi
email: dolfi@hpl.hp.com