RE: Why 10xGbE may be a bigger market than 1xGbE - a customer's perspective

DSF - dispersion shifted fiber has been around since the 70s. Generally
dispersion is high, but linear in the 1550 region.  Can be compensated with
dispersion correcting fiber.
ZDSF - zero dispersion shifted fiber was deployed in the 80s. The lowest
point in the dispersion curve was moved to the 1550 wavelength.  The
dispersion slope therefore formed a "V" at the 1550 wavelength.  This is
ideal for single wavelength TDM transmission.  MCI has installed 1000s of
miles of this type of fiber.  But almost useless for DWDM
NZDSF - non zero dispersion shifted fiber is currently what is deployed.
The low level, liner (but not the zero point) portion of the dispersion line
has been shifted into the 1530-1570 region of the fiber.  Ideal for long
haul DWDM systems

Bill

Bill St Arnaud
Director Network Projects