Proposed WAN vs. LAN Terms (Ethernet HSSG)

Hi All,

Just a quick question, is there a "term" defined for the very long reach version
of 10GEth?  These definitions seem to be important to our discussion.  As Brian
from HP stated, we're not being clear on the specific application environment.
I'd suggest something like:

10,000Base-SX
        Multi-mode
        Wavelength ~ 850nm
        I'd guess WWDM only
        300m reach over 62.5um fiber

10,000Base-LX
        Single-mode (maybe also multi-mode)
        Wavelength ~ 1310nm or 1550nm
        WWDM, Serial or MAS
        10km reach

10,000Base-EX   (EX=Extended Length)
        Single-mode
        Wavelength ~ 1550nm
        DWDM or Serial
        Externally modulated
        Long Reach
        (similar to what Bill St. Arnaud is talking about)

Also, I've seen some comments on the serial version of the 10,000Base-LX that
assume it'll be externally modulated.  I've heard a number of individuals state
that a directly modulated 10 Gb laser is possible.  Lucent seemed to be
proposing this at the Austin meeting (I believe their eye pattern was from one
of these devices).  If this was a directly modulated uncooled DFB without
isolator, then I believe it would be by far the lowest cost and the most
straight forward. Regarding the 10,000Base-EX, I'd (obviously) assume that this
was only externally modulated.

Regards,
Bryan Gregory
bgregory@molex.com