RE: WWDM vs. 10Gb/s serial

Ed:

The 2n bits is wrong. To zero out a scrambler of order n, you need a
pattern of (2**n - 1) bits. For instance, lets consider the seventh-order
frame synchronized scrambler that is being used by SONET. The pseudo-random
sequence generated by the scrambler repeats itself every (2**7 - 1 = 127)
bit periods. Since the pseudo-random output of the seventh register is
XORed with the payload data, a user could transmit a pattern that
continuously repeats the 127-bit pattern from the seventh register of the
SONET scrambler. When the pattern from the seventh register is aligned with
the 127-bit pattern from the malicious user, the line will see an all zeros
pattern.

So, to zero out the scrambler, the user
1- must know the order of the scrambler and its polynomial
2- must have access to the whole payload envelop
3- must use a pattern of (2**n - 1) bits generated by the polynomial
4- must repeat its pattern enough until it gets in phase with the output
of the scrambler

Paul