RE: Proposed WAN vs. LAN Terms (Ethernet HSSG)

Hi everybody,

Please allow me jumping in.
I have some comments from the view point of an optical component supplier.
An isolator that is used in a LD module should not be a expensive parts
among entire 10Gbps optical module.
It is also much cheaper than the inline isolators like in a WDM system
because of no polarization concern.

DFB-LD should have it.
FP-LD might be OK without it for very short distance.
I would put an isolator on  to keep a better loss budget.

I believe that a directly modulated laser is very potential solution for
short reach and intermediate reach application in terms of both cost and
reliability.
It's so simple.

I have one thing to tell you regarding directly modulated laser.
A modulation speed is the trade off performance versus extinction ratio of
output signal.
If we could relax the extinction spec, we would open device selection,
including suppliers, significantly wide, I believe.  It reduces a cost, of
course.

Even Gigabit Ethernet, only good laser can be used like ours.
It's not commercial thing, but a serious joke.

However, if we persist in a tight spec like OC-192, we might miss a
potential solution.
If we can use it, we should use it.

Jim Yokouchi
Sumitomo Electric Lightwave Corp.