RE: Some Gigabit Ethernet history -- why are the links so overdesigned?

Let us remember that the eventual goal is to turn 10 GbE into technology that
customers can really use.  If we abandon the installed base, we miss the mark by
far.

I recall the modal bandwidth history as well. Once again, I repeat a statement I
have made in the past, if we had the ability to test and qualify the installed
fiber, it would make our customers' lives a lot easier.

Bruce Tolley