RE: IEEE 802.3 Requirements

Hi Joe and Ed,

What I meant by novelty was the attribute of being new and different in the
market, giving us an opportunity to state new requirements.  By now, the
newness of 10 Gig is self apparent. By different I mean that qualtitatively
most users will find it reasonable to regard 10G networks as a step up from
the networks of old.  It is 3 orders of magnitude faster than the ethernet
of the early 80's.

From your and others' comments, as concerns enterprise LAN requirements, I
think I sense a consensus for the notion that:

	* we can have a PMD that requires better fiber for LAN applications
	* our link negotiation process should include some signals, waveforms and
test to assess fiber fitness

I am suspicious that these kinds of simple tests are unlikely to cover all
cases of poor performance, as we found out in the Gig arena, some of the
problems have to do with launch angles, relative positions, fiber movements,
etc.  Nevertheless, I think that a multi stage test can cover an adequate
number of cases in the field, say 80-90% of the culprits.  I also think we
can design a test mode that will be able to segregate the cases of:

	* No connectivity at all
	* Low power, low signal to noise
	* Lack of support for 10 Gig signals

Such test results will allow us to offer decisive and informative advice to
the equipment user and installer, without regard to any testing that they
might or might not have done.

Mike