                                        Roy Bynum

Date:     Tue May 18, 1999 10:14 am  CST
Source-Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:35:37 -0500
From:     bgregory
          EMS: INTERNET / MCI ID: 376-5414
          MBX: bgregory@molex.com

TO:       "bill.st.arnaud"
          EMS: INTERNET / MCI ID: 376-5414
          MBX: bill.st.arnaud@canarie.ca
TO:     * ROY BYNUM / MCI ID: 424-5935
CC:       IEEE HSSG
          EMS: INTERNET / MCI ID: 376-5414
          MBX: stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject:  10 G.Eth over Sonet DATS
Source-Msg-Id: <0010F6AE.C21030@molex.com>

     Hi Roy,

     Quick question...  Does a G.Eth signal at 1.25 Gb/s efficiently fit
     inside of a Sonet DATS frame?  I'd guess that only one G.Eth signal
     could be embedded in a single OC-48 signal (is this correct?).  This
     would seem to leave a large percentage of the frame unused.

     QUESTION: What 10 G.Eth data rate (data plus overhead) would you
     recommend for efficient loading into a Sonet OC-48 or OC-192 DATS
     frame?  Is it important to be able to load both OC-192 and OC-48, or
     should we focus on just OC-192?

     Regards,
     Bryan Gregory
     bgregory@molex.com

     -------------------------

     Bill,

     Internet IP will continue to be what the market requirements reflect.
     Slow restoration times are acceptable in that environment. The UUNet
     Long Haul GbE is part of what I am doing. I am the one that put the
     Long Haul Optical switching/Metro DWDM/SONET DATS evaluation of GbE
     together.

     As a bit irony, dependable GbE is turning out to be less expensive
     than undependable IP over TDM, ATM, or POS. Unless MPLS comes in a
     respectable price break, GbE over Native Data SONET DATS will still be
     less expensive.

     In addition to being less expensive, GbE over Native Data SONET DATS
     will provide "subscription control" though "flow control" That
     "subscription control" will prevent over-subscribing the WAN links,
     which is a big problem for enterprise data network designers and
     architects.  Combine that with "priority queueing" and most of what
     MPLS was supposed to do has already been accomplished by GbE.  You
     guys as IEEE have done a greater job than you knew.

     Dependable, high quality transport of Native data traffic such as GbE
     and 10GbE is probably going to be a different market, one that "best
     effort" is unacceptable to. If there is a market that provides the
     profit margin that will sustain 10GbE, it will not be the Internet as
     it is today.

     I do know that I have been given the requiement that carriers can not
     support a data service over long haul systems that does not provide
     "SONET like" functionality. The reason that I joined this study group
     is to provide that insight to the standards developers. If that is GbE
     or 10GbE over SONET then the issue is already resolved. All that
     remains is to determine what the LAN application requirements are,
     then the standard can be defined.