                                   Roy Bynum

Date:     Mon May 24, 1999  1:48 pm  CST
Source-Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:42:34 -0400
Fromm:     bill.st.arnaud
          EMS: INTERNET / MCI ID: 376-5414
          MBX: bill.st.arnaud@canarie.ca

TO:       Drew Perkins
          EMS: INTERNET / MCI ID: 376-5414
          MBX: drew.perkins@lightera.com
TO:     * ROY BYNUM / MCI ID: 424-5935
TO:       'Andrew Smith'
          EMS: INTERNET / MCI ID: 376-5414
          MBX: andrew@extremenetworks.com
CC:       'IEEE HSSG'
          EMS: INTERNET / MCI ID: 376-5414
          MBX: stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject:  Flow control on GigE networks
Source-Msg-Id: <NBBBJIMEPHPGCNGAHPMFMECBEMAA.bill.st.arnaud@canarie.ca>
U-Importance: Normal
U-X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook IMO, Build 9.0.2212 (4.71.2419.0)
U-X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
U-X-MSMail-priority: Normal
U-X-Priority: 3 (Normal)

All:

I think there is a dangerous assumption that intermediate GbE regenerative
devices need to do flow control. Many vendors are shipping product that will
do GbE over SONET or transparent optical links many hundreds or thousands of
kilometers with no intermediate flow control.

There are other well know techniques for native Gbe as well.

Bill

Bill St Arnaud
Director Network Projects
CANARIE