Re: 1000BASE-T PCS question

Jaime,

A point of clarification: Ethernet standards, at least the IEEE 802.3
ones, specify several BER objectives, usually depending on the specific
PHY. 1000BASE-X specifies a BER objective of 10 E-12. This PHY is based
on the Fibre Channel PHY which specifies an end-to-end system BER of 10
E-12. In practice, many of the optical links I've worked on over the
years exhibit BER well below this figure. 10 E-12 is generally a
cost/testability tradeoff floor where getting a transceiver vendor to
sell you a 10 E-13 instead of 10 E-12 transceiver may result in your
forking over a considerable additional chunk of change.

I'm assuming that testing transceivers at 10 E-13 may be a bit easier at
10 Gbps than at 1 Gbps. If this is true, this means that may be able to
set BER objectives for the 10 GbE more aggressively than for 1 GbE,
possibly closer to 10 E-13.

To put BER into perspective:
A system BER of 10 E-10 @ 10 Gbps = a bit error every 1 second.
A system BER of 10 E-12 @ 10 Gbps = a bit error every 1 minutes, 40
seconds.
A system BER of 10 E-13 @ 10 Gbps = a bit error every 16 minutes, 40
seconds.

--

--

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@transcendata.com
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@earthlink.net