LAN/WAN

I agree completely with Bill,
the distinction between LAN and WAN
is artificial , there is no technical barrier
to provide city wide "LAN". More and more fiber
is available and bandwidth is a commodity.
( look at news of Enron's new market, symbol ENE ).

The distinction is true today.
mostly because the telecos developed a connection based
synchronous network. It all change if you use
a connection-less packet based "Ethernet" like network.

Selection of Jitter ad BER performance implies a decision
on distance, 10GBE could be the standard for
metropolitan Wide networks, you do not need
the complexity of Sonet for a packet switched, asynchronous,
network.

So we can start from the Sonet spec and scale it
down but still be able to send data across a city
or we can use the Fibre Channel spec and limit the scope of
a 10BGE network to a building.

From the PHY point of view, the selection of the PHY/ASIC interface
( single ended or diff ) have an impact on jitter performance
to get good jitter performance ( closer to Sonet spec )
one needs a diff interface.

At 08:51 AM 5/28/99 -0400, Bill St. Arnaud wrote:

>All:
>I have been following the interesting debate about BER. Let me bring some
>further issues into the debate.
>
>I am assuming that on WAN and long haul GbE the upper layer protocol will
>only be IP.
>
>On most IP links, even ones with BERs of 10^-15 there is about 1-3% packet
>loss and retransmission.  This is due to a number of factors but most
>typically it relates to TCP flow control mechanism from server bound
>congestion (not network congestion) and the use of WRED in routers.
>
>So, on most IP links the packet loss due to BER is significantly less than
>that due to normal TCP congestion.  As long as that ratio is maintained it
>is largely irrelevant what the absolute BER value is.  There will be many
>more retransmissions from the IP layer than there will be at the physical
>layer due to BER.
>
>Other protocols like Frame Relay and SNA are a lot more sensitive to high
>BERs.  IP ( in particular TCP/IP) is significantly more robust and can work
>quite effectively in high BER environments e.g. TCP/IP over barbed wire.
>
>I would like to suggest that the 802.3 HSSG group consider an 2 solutions
>for 10xGbE WAN:
>(1) native 10xGbE using 8b/10b; and
>(2)10xGbE mapped to a SONET STS OC-192 frame
>
>For extreme long haul solutions SONET makes a lot of sense as a transport
>technology.  However for intermediate long haul (up to 1000 km) and WAN
>native 10xGbE is more attractive. Native GbE can be either transported on a
>transparent optical network or carried directly on a CWDM system with
>transceivers. In medium range networks coding efficiency is not as important
>as it is in long haul networks. If coding efficiency is important then in my
>opinion, it does not make sense to invent a new coding scheme for 10xGbE
>when it would be just as easy to map it to a SONET frame.
>
>The attraction of native 10xGbE for the WAN is that it is a "wide area
>networking solution for the rest of us".  You don't need to hire specialized
>SONET engineers to run and manage your networks.  The 18 year old kid who is
>running your LAN can now easily learn to operate and manage a WAN.
>
>In Canada and the US, there are several vendors who are willing to sell dark
>fiber at a very reasonable cost.  Right now the cost of building a WAN with
>10xGbE and CWDM is substantially less (for comparable data rates) than using
>SONET equipment.
>
>Bill

>Bill St Arnaud
>Director Network Projects
>CANARIE
>bill.st.arnaud@canarie.ca
>http://tweetie.canarie.ca/~bstarn

Haim Shafir
e9 Inc.
PH 408-343-0192 cell 408-892-1838 fax 408-873-2642
hshafir@1e9.com