RE: 1000BASE-T PCS question

Dave:

I agree that the intention of SONET scrambler is to achieve sufficient DC
balance; nevertheless, from the scrambling probability, a run length of 70
bits is inevitable which causes the problem.

ATM_ Forum could not tolerate the run length, and further added additional
scrambling circuit to reduce the run length, which is still affecting DC
wander.  It is not practical to keep adding another layer of scrambling
circuit to eliminate run-length affect.

The optical power is only as good as to the O/E conversion, to correctly
convert optical signals to electrical signals.  The DC-wander problem is the
electrical, bit-boundary detection issue, then in-turn it relates to the
recovered clocking, accuracy issue.  All these issues are electrical, timing
issues, which are independent of optical power.  In another word, even we
have a zero error at O/E conversion, these timing issues exists after that.

In addition, there always a link runs much better BER than specified, for
example, 10^-15, but it is not typical.  If 10^-15 is typical for 10^-12
specification, then it is not optimum cost-effective design.

Ed Chang.
Unisys Corporation