From: bin.guo@amd.com [mailto:bin.guo@amd.com]
Sent: Friday, May 28, 1999 4:57 PM
To: Edward.Chang@unisys.com; bill.st.arnaud@canarie.ca;
rtaborek@transcendata.com; dwmartin@nortelnetworks.com
Cc: stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org; sachs@watson.ibm.com; "widmer@us.ibm.com
widmer@us.ibm.com widmer"@us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: Wide Area Networking for the Rest of US - the debate on BER
a nd other issues

Ed,

If the specified BER for 1000BASE-X is 10^ -12, then to have the equal
error-free period the specified BER for 10G should be at least 10^ -13.
Based on Rich T and Rich S's BER number:

A system BER of 10 E - 8 @  10 Mbps = a bit error every 10 seconds.
(10BASE-T)
A system BER of 10 E-12 @ 100 Mbps = a bit error every 166 minutes, 40
seconds.	(100BASE-X)
A system BER of 10 E-10 @     1 Gbps = a bit error every 1 minutes, 40
seconds.		(1000BASE-T)
A system BER of 10 E-12 @     1 Gbps = a bit error every 16 minutes, 40
seconds. 	(1000BASE-X)
A system BER of 10 E-12 @   10 Gbps = a bit error every 1 minutes, 40
seconds.
A system BER of 10 E-13 @   10 Gbps = a bit error every 16 minutes, 40
seconds.

If the TCP/IP is the only protocol 10G PHY needs to support, then the above
specified BER may be more than enough.  Moving from 1G to 10G, the bit
period is scaled 10X smaller while jitter and noise from some sources are
not scaled the same way -- much tight control should be applied to achieve
even the same BER.

Bin

ADL,AMD