formal apology

I apologize for any offense taken , none was intended.
I did not intend to offend Mr. Widmer.  8B10B was
used successfully in the past and IBM was gracious
and fair in licensing 8B10B,  sorry again.

My out of place remark, was a lame attempt in light humor
and was not intended as a professional remark.
So please take no offence , none was intended.

At 01:20 PM 6/3/99 -0400, mwsachs@us.ibm.com wrote:
>You owe Mr. Widmer an apology.  Unprofessional remarks such as yours are
>totally
>out of place in an open standards body.  You should also know that the 8-10
>code
>has been part of Fibre Channel for nearly 10 years and there have never been
>any
>remarks about licensing.  Al Widmer's professional advice has also been
part of
>Fibre Channel for the same period and he is well respected by everyone
involved
>with transmission codes.  IBM licenses its intellectual property for ANSI and
>IEEE standards according to the standards body rules as do many other
>companies.
>
>Martin Sachs

>*********
>
>IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
>P. O. B. 704
>Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
>914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
>Notes address:  Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM
>Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com
>*********
>

>Haim Shafir <hshafir@1e9.com> on 06/03/99 11:33:05 AM
>
>To:   Albert X Widmer/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, rtaborek@transcendata.com
>cc:   Mark Ritter/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, John Ewen/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Dennis L
>      Rogers/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Mehmet Soyuer/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Mounir
>      Meghelli/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,
>      stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
>Subject:  Re: [Fwd: 1000BASE-T PCS question], Importance of DC Balance
>

>And we can safely assume that IBM's ownership of the
>8B/10B patent does not impact you professional
>opinion at all.
>

>At 08:54 AM 6/3/99 -0400, widmer@us.ibm.com wrote:
>>
>>How important is DC Balance? This question is best answered by the engineers
>>who
>>design the critical three circuits (Laser Driver, Receiver Preamplifier,
Clock