From: Devendra Tripathi [mailto:devendra.tripathi@xaqti.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 11:22 AM
To: Grow, Bob
Cc: stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject: RE: 10G-BASE-T question (dd1)

> all that need
>change is the clock rate (not something subject to discriminatory
>licensing).

Bob,

8 bit interface would be very difficult to implemnet at MAC level
at least with current (and probably of two more years) CMOS technology. I
think
the suggestion of 32/8 is in line. The starting PHYs could take 32 bit data
and later on we
could move to 8 bit (may be in next 3-4 years). This is in line with speed
independent MAC too.
We could specify the lower 8 bits of 32 bit to be used in later mode (if
and when that is
implemented).

>A wider interface presents more constraints, and if wanted as
>an option must be used in evaluating a number of the PHY proposals. (A
wider
>interface can affect preamble, IPG, and latency at a minimum.)

I do not see this a problem at least upto 32 bit. Please note that even at
GMII, I am doubtfull
if any one implements internal logic at 125 MHz. Mostly it 16 bit bus
running at 62.5 MHz. At 32
bit we have 3 clocks of IPG and 2 clocks of preamble, both being integers.

Tripathi.