Re: importance of DC balance

petarp@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Jaime,
>
> The noise power and not the noise rms amplitude is proportional
> to the bandwidth. Therefore, the noise due to the required extra
> bandwidth would reduce the SNR by 4 dB.

Peter,

I completely agree with you. It is exactly what I said in my
presentation in Idaho (see page 9, titled "Optical SNR")

Add now another 4 dB loss in signal power, compared with
1000BASE-X, because the bit energy is 4 dB smaller, and
you get the total 8 dB penalty in SNR of 8b/10b + 4-WDM
compared to 1000BASE-X.

I use the SNR of 1000BASE-X as a good reference to compare
different proposals for 10-Gigabit Ethernet (see my presentation
in Idaho).

Using the same reference, the 10G-BASE-T approach without
any coding gain has a 6 dB penalty in SNR. Using EVEN coding
the penalty is only 3 dB and using Trellis Coding the penalty
is 0 dB.

I summarized this in Idaho in a Table that I reproduce here
again (page 20):

                THE COMPLETE SNR Table

    Architecture                                            SNR [1]

    1000BASE-X                                         - 1 dB [2]

    8b/10b + 4-WDM                                  - 9 dB

    10G-BASE-T Even coding                   - 4 dB

    10G-BASE-T Trellis coding                - 1 dB

[1] relative units
[2] 10*log(1*0.8) ~ - 1 dB

petarp@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Jaime,
>
> I would also like to point out that in making your argument
> against 8B/10B you are comparing apples to oranges. ...
> The more meaningful comparison would be to compare
> with ...  the uncoded 2.5 Gb/s or 10Gb/s"

Peter,

On the contrary: I stressed in my presentation that I want to
compare apples to apples. Apples to apples means: take two
complete solutions that deliver 10 Gbps data. One solution
(1000BASE-T PCS + 4-WDM) uses the bandwidth very
efficiently. The other (8b/10b + 4-WDM) not. And you
see this efficiency when you compare their SNRs.

The  "uncoded (2.5 Gb/s or 10Gb/s)" solution that you refer
to is not a solution for 10 Gbps Ethernet. Without adding any
coding it cannot be used. It could lead, for example, to infinite
running lengths of 'ones'. Therefore, comparing anything
to it would be meaningless.

Jaime

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear