Re: Jumbo Frames in 10GbE?

I would have to say no to even consider Jumbo frame. Please consider the
following questions:

1. How do we bridge over to existing system without fragmentation?

2. If we do fragmentation, how to regroup them?

3. FDDI to Ethernet back to FDDI is a good example of a nightmare regarding
fragmentation.

4. What happen to Jabber function implemented by existing physical layers in
exiting 802.3? They will chop off your large frame without fragmentation.

5. If we are to do fragmentation, we must get 802.1 involved so they can do
a bridge for this.

6. The packet handling components of the system, other than the file server
hosts, does not have a problem handling 1500 byte frames. It is the small 64
byte frames which kills them. To reduce load on the system, increase the
minimum frame size to 128 and you reduce the maximum packet forwarding rate
by 50%. In crease the minimum packet size to 640 and any system designed to
make forwarding decision for 1GbE will be able to handle 10GbE.

Henry Ngai