From: Thirion, Walt
To: 'stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org'
Sent: 6/21/99 10:28 PM
Subject: RE: Jumbo Frames in 10GbE?

Just because there is an IETF document that implementers are free to
follow doesn't mean the base IEEE standard should be changed. Expanding
the frame size can cause major incompatibility with previous
implementations and that, in my opinion, would obviate one of the very
reasons that ethernet continues to be successful.

Moreover, segmentation can be done with a smart network interface,
thereby offloading the per packet load on the host without breaking the
standard.

This does not mean, however, that hardware shouldn't be built that can
handle larger packets. As I said, that is left to the implementer. If a
network designer wants to turn that feature "on", he can do so at his
own risk AND with the understanding it isn't a standard setup.

There is some precedent for this in the early days of ethernet in that
many PHYs were capable of driving significantly longer cables than
specified in the standard. Implementers were free to take advantage of
this when they felt it had value. But, because it was non-standard,
there was no guarantee that changing a piece of equipment on either end
of the wire would still work over the longer cables. But it was their
choice...

Walter Thirion
Level One Communications
512-407-2110