RE: Issues concerning 10GbE speed standards

Peter and Roy,
	The cost of higher speed in the WAN is not so much that of the
electronic parts, but rather the fact that you need more of them for long
distances. This is because most optical effects such as dispersion increase
with the square of the distance. Thus increasing the speed by 25% increases
the optical effects by 56%, and that tends to decrease the distance you can
go by  about a third. Then you need 33% more spans to go the same distance.
Also, in order to send 25% more bits, you wind up increasing the power by
25%, and you use more optical bandwidth. And since you are sending more
bits, you are using more optical bandwidth. These facts result in fewer
optical channels being supportable on a fiber, resulting in more fibers
being used, resulting in more line systems, etc.  The result again is more
equipment and higher costs.

Actually, the electronic parts might become less expensive with the 25%
extra speed. The balanced nature of the 8B10B code decreases the cost and
attention that must be paid to jitter.

Drew
Ciena Corporation                 Email: ddp@lightera.com
Core Switching Division                 Tel: 408-865-6202
10201 Bubb Road                         Fax: 408-865-6291
Cupertino, CA 95014              Cell/Pager: 408-829-8298