Re: Issues concerning 10GbE speed standards

I had been in the line coding field for years, but I don't readily see why
balancedness of a code should offer any cost savings. Normally, in order to
balance your code, you have to use more redundancy, thus more line bandwidth,

If there should be some DC-blocking component along the path, so that
DC-restoring is necessary at each regenerator when using a non-balanced codes,
then the balanced codes could somehow win over the non-balanced in cost saving.
Otherwise...

Whether using a balanced codes or not should rather more depend on the
channel(path) charactersitics; is the path DC-blocking or not. In DC-blocing (or
AC-coupled) channels, balanced codes generally would give better BER performance
at the same implementation cost.

--
Dae Young
http://ccl.chungnam.ac.kr/~dykim/